Saturday 4 January 2014

“Sad Stories behind Modernity”


In the midst of my adventure in Luneta Park together with my friends, several photographers trolling around the area captured my attention. Most of them are old, wearing their classic chaleco with their cameras on hand and they offer to snap souvenir photos to tourists, but usually tourists declined to their service because they actually have their own digital cameras and cell phones.
Tiredness and lament were painted on their face as they travails in Luneta Park day and night but it seems that no one needs their service anymore and they were just overlooked by the people. From that, I realized how the life of people and world were affected by the advent of technology. I came to think for other people in the service that were seemingly busted by these technological evolutions.
When I was a child, I remember when I go with my mother to the post office located in the public market in our province to send letters and pictures to our relatives in Gen. Santos. But many years after, I came back to the same place where the post office is located, but sadly, it was not there anymore, it was replaced by several business establishments.
Well, it’s not a surprise anymore because of so many new ways of communication that offers fastest, convenient and hassle-free service compare to the snail mail. I just wondered what happened to the people that used to work before in the post office to deliver the letters throughout the country. For sure, not only the employee of the post office and the mailman lose their job through these new ways of communication but also the makers of decorative stamps that were put on those letters.
Though we are perfectly enjoying the convenience of life today because we are in the heights of modernity, still it feels gloomy to realize that there were sad stories behind these innovations. Stories of our fellowmen whose jobs were affected as the majority of people embraces the new technologies in their life.
I am now thinking if what kind of jobs will be disregarded too in the future as the innovations of technologies continuously grows.




No comments:

Post a Comment